Grey's Cloud Nine

Knitting,kids,life,sci fi cons,medieval reenactment, ect.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Home Sweet Home

We just finally got to spend a night in our own beds last night. I feel SO much better.
We had lots of rain peppered with sleet and freezing rain. THEN it all froze on us. About ten at night on Thursday night I started hearing popping. Some time after that, the power went out. I wandered in the dark for the candle lighter, and then lit me some candles, and plugged in the corded phone. I called Hubby. Hubby had been stuck on a Metro Link train since 7:30. He said he would call his parents. I am thinking that they will bring me some kind of portable heat. NOPE, his mom shows up, and says "lets go". I stall. I don't want to leave my home, and don't want to wake up Lil Bit. It wasn't THAT cold that night and I thought we would be ok. Then I thought of Hubby, stuck on the train, and decide he doesn't need the stress of worrying about me, and the drama of me being stubborn.
So, I go to his parent's. Hubby finally gets dropped off at a train station, and then they send busses to take him to the station he was supposed to be dropped off at. Hubby's dad goes to get him.
I finally get Lil Bit back to bed about 1:30 in her grandmother's bed. It has been decided that she and her grandma would get that bed. Hubby's mom suggests me and hubby get the second bed, and his dad gets the couch. Hubby puts his foot down, says his Dad needs a bed. So I get the couch and Hubby the floor. Trains and Planes didn't run the next morning, so hubby doesn't go to work, and his mom doesn't go on her business trip. My store has power, so I get to go to work that afternoon. By then, the streets were drivable. Ice covered the trees and power lines. Trees were down all over, some covering the road ways. At my house several of my trees are down, we have a lot of work ahead of us.
Yesterday, Hubby went to work, his mom to her trip. It got above freezing, and a lot melted. The power company was able to turn our power on. Life is getting back to normal.
Talking to people at work, the main thing on a lot of people's mind is the fact: This just happened to us six months ago!!! Of course then it was two thunder storms back to back, and the worry was a heat wave, not freezing weather. Hopefully there will be less problems with food spoiling. There are still plenty of people out of power, and we were lucky. The fact we had somewhere to go, should make me feel safe. I am STILL happy to be home, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home